Thursday, May 25, 2006

Phrase of the week: "At least you still have your job"

On Monday my company announced that some people had been laid off. Apparently we weren't doing so hot financially speaking.

I work for a small company and I know everyone who was laid off. Needless to say this has been a rough week. It's sad to realize that people I have been working with for 2 years can no longer work here.

But at least I still have my job.

That's the new phrase at work. Unpaid overtime? At least I have my job. Work assignments I don't like? At least I have work assignments. Cut in benefits? Well that still sucks, but at least I have them.

This is the first place that I have worked that this has happened. Well I guess one guy got laid off at my old job but he needed to be fired so a lay-off was actually being nice. It's a lot different when good workers have to be let go.

It's been interesting to see how people are handling it. One person isn't talking to anyone. Another just sits at their desk and cries. Another dishes out the guilt trips to those who "survived". Another jokes about it and another ignores it.

This week has been a regular buffet of emotions with a side of an added work load. I do have to say that it is much easier to be a survivor when no one in a similar position to mine was laid off. At least I don't have to think about coming out above a friend.

And no matter how rough of a week it has been for me.... at least I still have my job.

No comments: