Monday, May 08, 2006

A Hot Air Balloon Story

Today I was reminded of a situation that wasn't funny at the time but I can laugh about it now.

Last summer I had a really bad day, and we all know that the best things to help you deal with those days are crying, ice cream and swings. So I went and bought ice cream and sat at a park and cried. It was a great self-pity party.

As I was sitting there a hot air balloon company pulled up with their trailer. They started setting everything up and then people started showing up. This is what I really wanted since I was bummed and crying - PEOPLE! Up to that point I was the only person in the park. People, please stare at me with a mixture of pity and fear. Please crowd together and ruin my pity party. Please. I wish I had thought to invite you. This is fabulous. Next time I will.

Soon more people showed up. And then more. And then some more. And then finally the birthday girl showed up. Some teenage girl's parents had given her a hot air balloon ride for her birthday. I was so happy for her I cried some more.

And then I walked through the crowd with my tear-stained face because the birthday mobile was parking me in and I decided it was time to leave.

Maybe if I had stayed longer they would have offered me a ride.....

No comments: