Monday, November 27, 2006

A post in which I talk about my health

Listening to people talk about their health problems never really excited me. I tried to avoid those conversations as much as possible. I never understood why people would volunteer that much personal information to someone. Until recently.

I've been having stomach problems. And I feel the need to talk about it with people. I finally went to the doctor today and we won't know what it is for a few weeks but here is the list of things I have worried it might be:

- Stress!
- Lactose Intolerance
- Ulcers
- A sign that I shouldn't marry Ben
- Stomach Flu
- Irritable Bowel syndrome

My dad finally convinced me to stop worrying about what it MIGHT be and just go to the doctor and find out what it really is.

In all of this I have come to think that people talk about their health problems for several reasons. One is to let you know what they are going through. Life isn't easy for them and you should know that. Another is to explain why they aren't active or excited about something. They are sick and please understand that being sick takes all their energy. And the final and probably most likely reason is that they are scared. They want to tell someone what they are going through and that person to respond with "Oh that? Not a big deal at all. I had that and it cleared up in 2 days." They want someone to tell them that while it isn't fun, their illness will go away. Because being sick can be scary.

So to all you people who talk about your health problems with strangers... I get it.

No comments: