Saturday, April 19, 2008

A surprising beginning to my weekend

My grandfather was a pilot during WWII. He had some amazing stories about from that. After the war he maintained his pilot's license and actually owned his own plane for a while. My uncle was able to track his plane down and I got this e-mail from him about it today:

Hey everybody,

This was Grandpa' plane. He sold it when I was about 7 years old. It's worth a small fortune now. We did loops in it and Mom would get sick, Dad let me land it once when I was 5 years old. One time we ran out of gas over West Alexandria, Ohio and did a forced landing in a cornfield (the corn was about a foot high). One time we flew to Kokomo, IN and visited Aunt Dudie and Uncle Don. Back then the plane was blue and yellow, had a wooden prop, and you had to pull the prop to start it.

I was able to track it down because I never forgot the ID #.

Uncle Tom


I miss my grandparents...

No comments: