Thursday, April 24, 2008

An Inconvenient God

Today I was thinking about how God is not always convenient and how that's a hard lesson to learn. I wonder if more people would follow Him if it was easier.

Would they have crucified Jesus if he hadn't told them to leave their father and mother? Would the rich young ruler have been Jesus' biggest supporter if he hadn't been asked to sell all he had? Would my co-workers go to church if it was comfortable?

It would be incredibly convenient if God delivered me completely from my anxiety.

It would be convenient if God would heal my friend so she and her husband could have a baby.

It would be convenient if God removed all of the cancer from my Mom's body.

Yet God stays his hand from changing these circumstances. He is asking me, my friend and my mom, "Do you trust me?" and the answer has to be "Yes." He reminds me that He didn't come to make my life comfortable; He came to seek and to save those who are lost. Jesus didn't come to run for office; he came to die for my sins.

He asks for not only my anxiety, but for all of me. All of my friend, all of my mom, all of me. He asks for our complete trust and surrender not just when it is easy, but when it's soo hard. He knows what He is doing. He knows the result of this anxiety, empty home and cancer and He promises that it will be good. It just may not be convenient.

Sometimes, I think, that I get more mad at God for not taking my problem away than at the problem. And maybe that's the lesson I need to learn right now, to wait for his goodness.

No comments: