Thursday, November 17, 2005

A Filtered Worldview

I really hope my last post didn't come across as whiny. My intent was not to write against any one church or an organization, but to simply express my frustration with a problem I saw. Last night, I briefly talked about home churches with one of my pastor's and I think my church may be moving towards more partnering than I had thought. Yeah!

I need to make sure that I check myself before I post. Blogs are a great communication tool, but they can do a lot of damage. A post made in frustration or anger can be hurtful and the damage can be hard to repair. A while ago I was talking to my pastor about a blog that had some very hateful stuff posted about me and he made the comment that he didn't think blogs were always a good thing. People post on them as if no one reads them, but they are open to the public. Things people wouldn't normally say in a large group are suddenly easy to post. I wasn't sure I agreed with him at the time, but I see the danger now.

James tells us that the tongue sets the whole body on fire and is itself set on fire by hell. With the same mouth we bless God and curse men. I never took that to mean written words, just spoken words.

The theme my junior year at the Christian high school I attended was "filtering everything through a biblical filter". I thought it was dumb at the time. A cheesy Christian saying that allowed for creative skits. Now I see the value in it. EVERYTHING I do and say needs to be filtered through scripture to see if it glorifies God.

Filtering my words and actions seems stifling. Like it is quashing my real desires. However, when I glorify God I realize that is my true desire. I may lose sight of that for the temporal things of this world, but I was made to worship God.

I am sure there will be times that things that are posted on here should not be. For that I apologize. I'm still learning how to filter everything.

No comments: