Friday, June 09, 2006

How to make the receptionist cry

Stephen, my officemate, has prank called a few people in our office pretending to be a customer asking about topics my co-workers aren't allowed to discuss. It's hilarious to listen to them talk around a subject.

Yesterday Stephen and I were slightly bored and I suggested that he prank call the receptionist and ask to speak with Mr. Lewis. Here's how the conversation went:

Receptionist: Hello, how can I help you?

Stephen (in an Indian/German accent): Hello. This is Samir. I need to speak with Mr. Lewis.

R: We don't have a Mr. Lewis here sir.

S: What?!?! I speak with him yesterday. Please connect me to Mr. Lewis.

R: Just a moment sir. [Puts Stephen on hold]

At this point Stephen hangs up and calls back.

R: Hello, how may I help you?

S: This is Samir. You hung up on me.

R: I am so sorry sir. It was an accident.

S: Is this how you treat your customers? This is no good. What is your name?

R: I really didn't mean to hang up on you sir.

S: Put me through to Mr. Lewis.

R: Hold please.

S: Hey! (without the accent) This is Stephen! Just pulling a prank.

[Awkward pause]

R: You made me cry!

And sure enough we did. The president's secretary came back and yelled at us for making the sweet girl cry.

And suddenly the joke wasn't so funny anymore.

No comments: