Thursday, December 06, 2007

Hi. I am looking for a job...

Today would have been a good day to shave my legs. I didn't shave them for a variety of reasons, one of which being that it was 9 degrees when I woke up and when it's that cold all the hair just freezes and falls off anyway. It also snowed here yesterday and it is BEAUTIFUL! Here is what I woke up to yesterday:


I love me some snow. I wish I could go sledding, but alas it's all supposed to melt before I am done with all my grown-up things like paying bills and looking for a job so we can continue to pay for said bills. Boo.

Back to the hairy legs... I should have shaved them because today I had a job interview. One in which I wear a suit. The only suit I own. With a skirt. But, I am an idiot and completely forgot that I had an interview today with a recruiter. While getting dressed for work I contemplated dressing up and then decided that it was too cold for polyester and wore jeans instead. My job is cool (warm?) like that and while jeans are acceptable at my job they are less acceptable at an interview. So between dropping Ben off at work and getting to my job, my heart stopped when I realized that today was Thursday. Thursday! The day that I have that thing with the people. The people who might find me a job in that place where I am moving! The people who I must convince that I am competent enough to handle enough responsibility that they would give me a paycheck big enough to pay the bills. Do you see? I am not picky. I just want a job that is enough. A job that I am enough for and that they pay me enough. All I want is enough. Could you find a more easy-to-please person? I think not. Well maybe you could. I actually want a job that pays enough but also has enough vacation, and I am thinking something around 3 weeks is enough.

Anyway....I am getting sidetracked today!... I forgot about the interview and the on-line application I was supposed to fill out two days ago. Thankfully I had nothing on my calendar today and could just blow off work to prepare for something I was supposed to do last night... This apparently is why I need a lot of vacation time.

So I stopped by work to tell them I won't be there because, yes, I also left my cell phone at home. Today was my day, placed in a paper bag, set on my porch and lit on fire. That was how today was delivered to me. Really the rest of today was uneventful. I was able to fill out the application, press my dress shirt and make it to the interview in plenty of time. I got to wear my suit that smelled of college-student presentation sweat and closet funk. I am thinking a trip to the dry cleaners is in order... Also, I had leg hair sticking out of my panty hose but I figured if any recruiter was looking that closely at my legs I would end up slapping him and there goes the job anyway. So why not add some more layers of warmth?

The only other fun part about the job interview was walking from the parking lot, across Main St into the building. Apparently, the downtown sidewalk and parking lot patrol consider salting these surfaces optional; they were one large sheet of ice. I had to slowly scoot my dress shoes across them and pray that I didn't fall in such a way to get arrested for indecent exposure or rip my panty hose and have my leg hairs take over the interview. Fortunately I have a cat-like balance and made it inside just fine. Then it only took one person to explain that suite 1380 is not on the 1st floor, but on the 13th floor.

I hope I get a job for all of this trouble, preferably one that is on the first floor.

No comments: