Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Yesterday I turned 25. TWENTY FIVE! OH MY GOSH I AM OLD! Do you see any wrinkles? Gray hair? TWENTY FIVE!

That's pretty much how I felt the last couple of months leading up to my birthday. And then when it came I was pretty excited. It was my birthday! I am now 25! I can rent a car in my own name! And.... um... well that's pretty much the only benefit, except that now people feel like they have permission to ask me when I am having a baby. Because you know, I probably want to be able to walk at their high school graduation so I should probably get on that.

I was thinking deep thoughts yesterday on my drive home and I realized that I have a lot to celebrate on this birthday. I've learned a lot in the last 5 years. Things that I am proud of. Here. Let me share them with you:

Things I've learned in the last 5 years:

- How to love more deeply.
- How to be ok with needing other people.
- How to pick my battles more wisely (still working on this though).
- To appreciate good friends and the importance of breaking up with bad ones.
- How to choose a health insurance plan.
- How to cook more recipes.
- How to properly wash a car.
- To laugh at myself more.
- To let more things go.
- The importance of not running out of gas.
- How much I love and appreciate my family.

See? These are good lessons. From here on out I am going to try and look at birthdays as celebrations of growth. Not milestones to death.

So hurray for 25 years! Hurray for 25 years of learning how to be less stupid and caring less when I am. Hurray!

No comments: