Thursday, June 12, 2008

Gross Bugs

I've been really grouchy lately. Ben says it's from lack of sleep I prefer to blame it on these bugs that are ruining my life. Cicadas.


They are everywhere. And I hate them. Their little shells are all over my stuff outside. The noise they make is deafening and they like to fly and land on me. Which is why my garden hasn't been weeded or watered. I don't like to go outside. I wanted to take a video to give you an idea of what it is like but I just couldn't capture it. At least you can get an idea of what they sound like though....



I also haven't been driving with the top down. I did that once and I was afraid to slow down. The bugs were everywhere! This week Ben and I walked to the grocery store and it was frightening. The cicadas were COVERING the trees lining main street. Walking through this corridor of bugs was like walking though a gauntlet. I couldn't take them flying at me anymore and broke into a flat out run. Which startled the cicadas and caused them to swarm Ben. He should have run too.

So cicadas basically live underground for 17 years, come out, eat, mate and die. Well except for the females who come out, eat, mate, lay eggs and then die.


I really wanted to give you all a feel for how these bugs swarm so I convinced Ben to shake the bush that they were in. Unfortunatly I think that you just have to be there in person. Please excuse my screams....

No comments: