Monday, February 25, 2008

One foot in front of the other

I've been putting off posting because not much interesting is happening here. This little adventure to Kentucky has become more of a plod to get things settled. We've been busy getting health insurance together, setting up my 401(k) and figuring out how to best save money.

To be completely honest, this isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. I've been sick a lot. My body is not handling this transition very well at all. Plus, I haven't been getting very much sleep at night. We live near some train tracks and I think the train wakes me up at night. I feel like I am slacking at my job, because I've had to take time off every week I've been there because I had to get the car registered, there were ice storms, and I had a doctor's appointment.

It is also frustrating at how much things cost down there. A 4% cost of living increase combined with a 13% pay decrease makes things a little tighter than we had hoped. Don't even get me started on the taxes down here (that's another post). I guess this is a good first step to learning how to live on a pastor's salary.

But as tough as it sounds, it really isn't that bad. We are doing fine and this time is just that, a time. A season to walk though. We've only been here a month and we are still trying to figure out how to best do this and by the time we are ready to move, we'll be pros at this. The train won't wake us, my body will have calmed down and we'll have figured out our budget. Just need to keep walking for now.

No comments: