Saturday, March 08, 2008

Fire and Snow

I was beginning to think that the great people of Kentucky were prone to drama. This was mainly supported by the Kentucky Homeland Security Ads that ran on television. You can watch it here. (It'll open up windows media player to play it.) Go on and watch it and you'll see what I mean. Obviously if you live in Kentucky you are at risk of spontaneously combusting. So, please visit that web-site and make sure you are prepared for that.

If that's not enough to worry about, people around here also like to freak out about the weather. Someone in all seriousness told me yesterday that we were supposed to get 8-12 inches of snow in a place where I have ever only seen 1-2 inches. People were stocking up on food and firewood so that they could ride out "the worst storm in the last 10-15 years".

I scoffed at their predictions. I am from the North and snow does not phase me. I laughed at them all, pointed out that it's supposed to be 50 on Monday and assured them that I could wait out the storm with my meager groceries. Plus I live within walking distance to a grocery store. I will live. Plus, I said, "we are only going to get 1-3 inches of snow. In Ohio they have blizzard warnings. I'm not scared."

Well it looks like they may have been right. I think that we probably have about 4 inches of snow. It almost covers the grass in my backyard. It really isn't that much snow, in Ohio this may slow things down for an hour, but life would keep moving along. Here life stops. The people of Kentucky knew something that I did not; THEY DON'T HAVE SNOW PLOWS IN THIS TOWN. I have not seen a single snow plow around my house this whole storm. 4 inches does shut things down because YOU CAN'T SEE THE ROAD. Dang-it. You people win. You were right. I guess I need to go figure out how to avoid spontaneously combusting now....

*** Edited to add:
A couple hours after I wrote this post the road crews were out in a force that I had never seen before. They were a team that was unstoppable.

They had a show plow:



And a back hoe:


How I love Kentucky.

Tomorrow! I post pictures of sledding!

No comments: