Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Time for a little venting

I'm writing this post while the adrenaline is still pumping. Irrationality does that to me.

Ben and I have a drama queen for a travel agent. DRAMA QUEEN.

The day Ben got sick, we declined our travel insurance. Declined it. It was $140 to cover the CHANCE that we'd have to change things on our trip. We decided we weren't cancelling it - the worse that could happen was that one of us would get sick and we'd have to postpone it. We'd take the risk of POSSIBLY paying more for the assurance that we won't have to pay $140. Then Ben's appendix decided to revolt.

So I e-mailed our travel agent and told her we needed to postpone the trip until August and that we understood we'd have to pay the fees associated with that. I figured this probably happens all the time.

She called me today to discuss it and by the way she talked, you'd think I'd ask her to please stop the world from turning.

"Andi, you didn't purchase trip insurance. There's nothing I can do for you."

"I know we didn't purchase trip insurance. We aren't cancelling the trip, we are just moving it. I read the papers we signed. We still have the option to change things - we just have to pay more."

"I just don't know what I can do for you. If you had gotten the insurance that would cover this."

"I know. We took a risk with the insurance and we didn't win. I don't understand why you can't help me. I know you can move plane tickets, I know you can move hotel room dates. Not sure what the problem is."

"But it'll cost more than the trip insurance would have."

"I guessed that. We'll pay it. Just let me know what our options are."

"As long as you know you'll pay more...."

"Just call me back with our options."

There's nothing like walking out of the hospital room of your future husband (who's in intense pain) to take the call of a travel agent who tells you that your thousands of dollars are lost (when they aren't). There's nothing like that to get the adrenaline pumping. And make you want to strangle some one.

*Update on Ben - He still may get to leave tomorrow. They cleaned out his wound today and that was a lot of pain. They think the infection is pretty much gone. Praise the Lord!

** 3:00 update: The travel agent pulled through and got the changes made. We are this close to finalizing the changes and paying for the fees.

No comments: