Monday, November 26, 2007

Easy Spinach Pie

There's really nothing pie-like about this dish except that it is cooked in a pie pan. I mean really spinach and pie shouldn't go together. You certainly wouldn't want to scoop ice cream or whipped cream on it.... I shall rename it Easy Spinach Casserole!

2 T. butter 1 package of spinach, finely chopped 1 small red bell pepper (I used a yellow one. The grocery store was out of red. Does anyone else try and spell grocery like grochery? I do. How else do you get the "shh" sound in it? Otherwise it should be pronounced Gro Seri. And they were out of red peppers too so that doesn't help me.)
3/4 C. milk
2 T. all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt

1/8 t. nutmeg (Does anyone have a measuring spoon that measures 1/8? I sure don't and I'm not in elementary school anymore and really shouldn't have to divide fractions. In the 5 recipes I have made, I have never seen measurement of 1/8. We hates the 1/8 around here.)
3 Eggs (Must be pretty brown eggs)
CHEESE! (I love me some cheese)

So as you can see this really isn't a vegitarian recipe so much as it is a meat-less recipe. We can work with this....

1. Heat oven to 350 F. Grease pie pan, 9 1 1/4 inches (I forgot to to do this which is why Ben is now in the kitchen scrubbing the pan... sorry sweetie!)

2. Melt margarine in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook spinach and bell pepper for about 5 min until spinach is wilted and pepper is crisp-tender (the phrase crisp-tender makes no sense and yet it describes it so well.)
3. Beat remaining ingredients except cheese until smooth (or as I did, until the flour clumps and your arm gets tired); pour into skillet. Stir mixture; pour into pie pan.



Side note: Everyone needs to go buy one of these spoon rests from pampered chef. They are amazing and take up such little room!

4. Bake uncovered about 30 minutes until center is set. Sprinkle with cheese! My "pie" tried to take over the oven and quite possibly would have gone for the whole world like some spinach blob... but I beat it back and it calmed down.
Before:
Cool vintage pie pan huh?
After:


Yum!


No comments: