Saturday, July 14, 2007

Open Letter to My Husband

Dear Ben,

One month ago today we said "I do". In another month we'll get to say "I did" in front of all of our family and friends. You hate wedding planning and dislike it even more that we have to do it after we are married. But you put up with it because I am excited about it and I think you are hoping you might be able to do the worm at the reception.


There were points in our relationship that I wasn't sure we would get to marriage. I got sick and freaked out and you almost died, yet both of those times made me love you even more. Going through the hard stuff with you was what made me understand that we would make it; that walking those hard roads was better while holding your hand.

You've taught me a lot about love the whole time we've been together. You've shown me love by a hug when I need it, stopping work and just listening, changing habits to my preferences, and by encouraging me to try things I enjoy. I've always worried that I would feel so trapped in marriage, but I have never felt freer. Thank you.

We laugh a lot together. Most of the time we aren't very good at serious romantic moods. Normally one of us will make a joke that will change the mood. I like it that way. I'd much rather you tell me a joke that has both of us laughing and begging for breath than have sweet nothings whispered. I hope we get to laugh together the rest of our lives.

Our marriage started out harder than we had planned. We had to postpone school and moving and both stay in jobs that aren't quite what we want to do. We have massive medical bills that need paid and a couch that we both hate. I know these things worry you and sometimes I think you feel like they are your fault. Other times you just shrug them off and state that God will get us through it all. I know that is so true which is why I want to start couch shopping now.

I love spending time with you. It doesn't matter what we are doing - I just enjoy being around you. You are my best friend and I am so happy we got married. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true! I love you!

With All My Love,
Your Wife

No comments: